Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

16 February 2010

Wake Up Brain...WAKE UP!

Sometimes the creative process doesn't happen like we writers would like it to. Sometimes, when you wake up in the morning, you're staring at your coffee pot and thinking about the sweet (or not so sweet if you'd rather) elixir of life that will jump start your brain. But as my chiropractor would like me to abstain from drinking the coffee, I'm sad to say that I'm not enjoying that life giving serum as much anymore.

So how do you get your brain up and running? How do you start writing when you just want to watch TV, go back to bed, walk your dog, etc.?

It's called a writing exercise.

This is different for everyone. Since I'm doing the Artist's Way with my good friend NP, I've been doing morning pages. I'm stream of consciousness writing in the morning until I've accumulated 3 pages. This morning I did this exercise on my computer instead of long hand because of the Ulnar nerve problem I suffer from. Since I can't hold a pen for very long, I'm typing my pages now. I found it works better for me since I can't get distracted by the pain and numbness in my hands.

Another writing exercise I do actually has no writing involved. I play Spider Solitaire while listening to my writing playlist and I let my right brain go. I chose Spider Solitaire because I can stop thinking about the game and let my mind go while playing it. That might not work for everyone. But it's like hooking up jumper cables to my brain and turning the car on. Suddenly I'm sitting in the scene with my characters and I'm off and running.

Whatever works for you, don't think that you have to just start writing as soon as you get up in the morning. Don't be afraid to find something you do that helps you get in the mood to write. Just as long as you write...who cares what you did to get to that point?

1 comments:

Nicole said...

Don't forget--you're always welcome to try the writing prompts on my blog each week!