Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

13 August 2009

The Importance of Playing the Name Game

First of all, I want to apologize for my absence this week. No, I don't have a note from my mother. We have had some internet issues this past weekend and since I post in advance (and no one is surprised by this because I have no internet at home), my posts were postponed. I'm sorry.

Last week we talked about characters. Knowing who your characters are is extremely important. But what good is it to know him inside and out but not have a name for him? It might not seem important to have a good name, but you should never underestimate the importance of what you call him.

I never really thought names were important. It's a name, what's the big deal? It's not like it's a child or a dog or something right? Wrong!

If you have this romantic hero and you name him Herbert, it ruins the image of the character. Is Herbert even a name that's used anymore? However, this same hero could be named something like Leif or Justin or Marcus. Suddenly, he has a whole different look right? Just the change of the name changed your perception. That's why it's important.

In Prophecy, I named my vampire king Seven. Why? Everyone's been asking me why lately. It's easy. Sometimes a character will tell you what his name is. I know, crazy right? The look I got said something like this: "Okay Kell, now I'm going to back away slowly. Please don't like knock me unconscious and drink my blood." But I'm completely serious. Seven told me that was what his name was. When I tried to change it, I could see him rolling his eyes and smiling at me like I'm an idiot.

Naming villains and secondary characters are just as important as naming a hero and heroine. Seven wouldn't be complete without his Guard, Ulrich and Chocon (that's pronounced SHO-coan for those of you who wonder). Ulrich is in homage to the late Heath Ledger's character in A Knight's Tale. But Ulrich agreed with me on it. Chocon on the other hand wouldn't let me call him anything else. The story wouldn't be the same with the Guard being called Rufus and Edgar.

Speaking of villains, I got Varick's name from a baby name finder. His name literally means conqueror I believe. It was picked off of a list and it suits him. His name originally was going to be Vincent. It wouldn't have worked out very well. For my villain in Legacy, my husband found the name Nathail, which means snake. It was too good to pass up.

Now that I've put you to sleep thinking about character names, please take note of one thing. The more unique a name is, the more questions you'll have about it. Chocon's name is hard for people to pronounce. I get a lot of questions about it. Rhoswen's name is another one people are having trouble with (pronounced RHOS-when). It's gaelic for white rose and there's a double meaning in that.

Remember that a character won't be able to change his or her name later on. When you're character mapping, take into consideration what that character's name is going to be. And remember, you wouldn't like getting beaten up on the playground in school right? Neither would a character. Until tomorrow!

0 comments: