Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

31 August 2009

What's In Your Bag?

When I found myself falling into the career that I now love more than anything else I've ever done, I didn't realize how much stuff I'd be dragging along with me. That was before the laptop came along.

Now I carry around a messenger bag with the laptop, my external hard drive, two large notebooks, one mini notebook, a novel, four blue pens, two red sharpies, my tiny mouse, the ever present set of pink earphones, my power cord, and my wallet. It's like carrying around a diaper bag without any kids. You just can't be too prepared.

Granted, the novel changes from day to day (yes that's correct. I can finish an 800 page novel in about two days if I'm determined. But I love to savor) and some days I don't even bring it with me. Today I don't have the novel with me because I'm at Fireworks. It's an official work day, no time for pleasure reading until later.

Yesterday, the novel was my favorite, Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. No matter how many times I read that book, I find something new every single time. A few days ago it was Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris because I have a thing for Eric Northman. If he actually existed, I might have problems. Next month, I'll be carrying the Twilight series around again in preparation for the New Moon movie in November.

Don't forget to bring what you need with you. That's all the time if you can help it. Inspiration is a funny thing and you might find yourself sitting alone in the food court of the mall and suddenly a scene for your own novel strikes you. I carry my mini notebook around and collect funny quotes I hear or read (where did you think the quote of the week came from?). It is also a scientific fact that you'll need a pen the one time you don't have one. It happens to me all the time.

Now do I truck the laptop out with me everywhere? No. That's not reality. But I take it most places with me. You just never know.

So, what's in your bag?

0 comments: