Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

27 November 2009

Reflections on Nanowrimo 2009

I did it. For a little while there it seemed elusive. About two weeks ago, I was certain that I'd crash and burn. But look at me now. I'm not just a winner this year. I'm a two time champ. That's heady stuff.

Part of what I learned this year was that if it can go wrong, it will. Murphy's law or something like that. Let's see what happened this month...For the first seven days of the month, I was sicker than a dog. I could barely get up enough energy to eat or bathe, let alone write. I haven't been that sick since February when I had the flu.

Once I'd gotten over that mess, my computer crashed. Twice. In twenty minutes. It wasn't a big set back, but it was a set back that I could hardly afford since I was so far behind. Then my husband's computer caught a virus and stopped working. There went another week and a half.

My saving grace was my office space. Without Fireworks, I don't think I would've made it. I wrote over 6,000 words here last Saturday, 4,000 the Saturday before, and 5,000 tonight. It's amazing to me how much work you honestly can get done when you're in the place where the creativity is booming. That and the spectacular coffee.

I still have until Monday to write and I might actually hit my personal goal of 53,000 words this year. Whatever happens from here is just icing on the cake. All that matters to me right now is that I did it. I did it when I thought I wouldn't be able to. And I did it with time to spare.

If I can get there with all the distractions and problems in my personal life this month, you can do it too. Stop reading this right now and get your word count in. If you want it bad enough, nothing can stop you. Not the TV on sale at Walmart, not the remnants of Triptophen in your system from the turkey yesterday or the headache in the back of your skull at the sound of Christmas music. If you want it, you'll get it. And trust me on this one, you want it.

0 comments: