Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

19 July 2009

Character Visualization

When you're writing, how do you picture your characters? This is something I've been thinking about lately and I'm dying (pardon the pun there) to know what other people think.

I've read that some writers think about their novels like a movie playing in their head. They can see the people in the story as actual actors. I must be strange then because I don't see that in my head. I actually see my novel coming to life as an anime. Yes, you heard me. Anime.

Japanese animation is just cool, if you've seen any you have to admit that. It's classic and revolutionary and uninhibited. I've seen things in manga and anime that American artists would never try in a million years. If you've ever seen Akira or Vampire Hunter D, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, when I was writing Prophecy, I saw Seven, Rhoswen, Ulrich, Chocon, and Varick as anime characters. I even had my husband draw some of them to help me out. So I want to know how you see your characters when you're writing.

Is it a film playing out in your head? Is it like a music video to whatever you're using to right brain? Is it like mine? Is it something totally off the wall?

0 comments: