Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

06 June 2010

Editing and Disappointment

Well, yesterday I finished the first round of edits on Awakening. I got it done quicker than I figured I would with my work schedule, and it's been formatted thanks to Nathan's hard work. Now I just have to go through the novel and make sure it looks right. After what happened to Prophecy, I don't want formatting errors to interfere with the actual storytelling.

Now here's why I'm disappointed: Awakening is only 344 pages right now. That's it. Prophecy and Forbidden were both over 400 pages. What the heck?!

Awakening is a springboard for the much bigger novel in Resurrection. Ultimately Resurrection is the hotter story, the more exciting and dramatic story. But without Awakening, you don't understand what's happening with Resurrection. Awakening is the stage and Resurrection is the play. Without the stage, we have no play.

I just thought the stage would be bigger.

When I look at most novels by authors I love, I see them getting larger or staying the same size throughout the duration of the author's career. Granted, the Sookie Stackhouse novels are averaging around 300 pages give or take. The Twilight Saga gets bigger and bigger as each novel progresses. Breaking Dawn was over 700 pages! Even the House Of Night novels are around 340 pages on average, with the last one hitting almost 400 pages.

To drop from over 400 pages to 344 pages for Awakening, it's depressing to me. I'm slightly depressed by this whole thing.

Granted, I have another round of edits to do in the next two weeks and it might get bigger. I'm hoping it gets bigger. There were two scenes I really wanted to add to the first round of edits that I just couldn't find room for in the story line in it's bare bones state. I think I can find a place for them though. I really want these two scenes in the novel since they are pivotal to the storyline.

We'll see what happens. I hope it gets bigger. I liked seeing over 400 pages when I got my proof copies. 344 pages just seems thin to me.

1 comments:

Nicole said...

Animal Farm by George Orwell is only 176 pages, and it was his second-to-last novel.