Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

14 September 2009

Stifling Myself

I'm putting Awakening away for this week. I'm almost done and I can't hardly look at it right now. The pace is moving too fast because I want to be done already. I've been writing this thing, at least part of the time, since April. I'm ready for the finish line but I don't have the stamina to make it. It's time to fall over on the side of the race track and wait for the medic to come get me before my heart explodes in my chest.

This is why I personally hate deadlines and wish that the person who coined the term would be shot in sensitive places with rubber bullets.

When you're pushing yourself to get a project done in a short amount of time, you'll catch yourself doing this very thing. I'm calling it stifling myself. Music has lost it's meaning to me. I've tried to right brain with it and now I'm bogged down. There's too much music, so I recreated my playlist (hence the absent Music To Write By post this weekend). That helped a little bit, but not enough. I need to take a step back.

This week is going to be devoted to Forbidden. It's coming out in about two months and I want to make sure it's perfect. When I worked on it Thursday morning, two hours had passed before I realized what was going on. That tells me that Awakening is being forced on me and it's time to step back.

Make sure that when you're working on a project for a long time that you aren't pushing yourself so hard you can't think anymore. The worst thing in the world is to be your own worst enemy. You're going to be your worst critic anyway right?

0 comments: