Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

04 September 2009

When Real Life Interferes With Fiction

This has been a very hard week for me. It might not seem like that through the posts I've put up, but I put those up in advance sometimes because that's easier for me. This week has been exhausting and frustrating for me.

I work a part time job outside of my writing so that my husband and I would have a place to get our car fixed and some extra money in our pocket (I work for a cab company). But with all the drama here in the last week, I've been at the office for my part time job than at Fang Marked for my full time job. With deadlines hanging over my head and a lot of research still left to do, this hasn't been a good time for this to happen.

Some of you might be asking me "So how do you write a novel when you have to work outside the home at a full time job to make ends meet?". Here's the only solution I could come up with.

I'm working before I leave for my regular job. Granted, I work second shift. But if I had a first shift job, I'd work for an hour when I got home. You may not make three pages a day doing that, but you have a good excuse don't you? It's harder to write when you have other demands on your time. But if you want it bad enough, or if your characters won't leave you alone, you'll find a way. Some people work better at night. I'm more of a morning person and like to be done by 11 AM. I'll write later than that, but the bulk of it is done. And it helps that I have a netbook and can write on the fly.

How would you try to balance a full time job with writing a novel?

0 comments: