Fang Marked Quote Of The Week

"We're odd when office supplies make us happy."
"No. Just writers."

-Me and Nicole Palmby
Powered by Blogger.

Nanowrimo 2011

Nanowrimo 2011
30 Days Of Literary Abandon!

Followers

01 October 2009

Nano: You have one month left...

I've been harping on Nanowrimo for how long now? And you still haven't signed up? I don't want to hear any more excuses. If I can do it, you can do it.

It's officially October 1st, so you can sign up for this year now. I'm signed up. My November is chaotic and I'm signed up. Do you need a really good reason to do Nanowrimo? Let me give you some:

-You've been telling people for years (or decades, whatever) that you're writing a book. Now's your chance to finish it.
-You never know if you can do something if you don't try. Nano gives you the chance to try.
-If you're a procrastinator like me, you need pressure to create something beautiful. Consider Nano pressure.
-The prize for finishing it can be life changing. Last year, the prize for hitting the word count was a free proof copy of your novel. It drastically changed my life. I wouldn't be published right now if I hadn't participated. Are you ready for your life to change?
-You'll get helpful emails all month with tips and tricks to keep you going.
-You don't have internet? Neither do I. It's called the library. I loaded my manuscript on a flash drive and submitted it for word count that way. I not only participated, but I hit over 50,000 words. If you have a laptop, it's called WiFi. Go get coffee and write.
-Have no inspiration? That's not true and you know it. Everyone has a place to start and I already wrote this week about writing from real life.
-Don't have a degree? Neither do I. Unless you're writing non fiction, it doesn't really matter.
-Are you a total amateur? Great! This is perfect for you. I was an amateur last year too. Next year, you won't be an amateur anymore.

The only excuse I might accept is that you don't have a computer at all. But then, how are you reading this if you don't have a computer? Gotcha!

Nano is a great opportunity to get somewhere in the writing world. It's an opportunity to see if you have what it takes. Believe me, you do. Last year, my inlaws had just had their house fire, and I was babysitting two dogs, one of which is now mine, and helping rebuild the damaged part of the family home in my spare time. You do have what it takes.

It's time to believe in yourself. Get to work. Trust me, even if it's only this once. Nano sounds crazy, but it's worth it.

0 comments: